Monday, February 21, 2011

Your Job Is Not Being Psychic

I found myself in some demand as a tarot reader at this year’s Pantheacon.

During one reading, I saw a contradiction between what the cards were telling me and what the querent was saying. Looking up from a positive spread of cards from which I saw one negative sign deep within the Magician card, I found a client who was somewhat tearful upon entering my room now with tears streaming down her face.

As an aside, I will often not look at a client during a difficult read. I find it distracting and I don’t want to do unconscious cold reads. Such things may impress a client but that isn’t the goal. The goal can be nothing less than service.

As I read the cards, no sooner would I find a thread then she’d disabuse me of my notions of accuracy. I could tell she wasn’t being contrary. There was a real issue and a real solution that was simply not very apparent. Eventually, I confessed to her that the cards and her story simply did not match and that I was confused. I simply pulled three cards to clarify a specific point and rather than sharing what I saw, I asked her about the card, “Do you have xxx in your past or present?”

Immediately the rest of the tale fell from her lips. That information confirmed everything I’d been telling her. She had taken my words to mean something general rather than something very specific. A fictional example would be telling a store manager they are losing too much inventory only to have the claim denied with a statement that they haven’t had a problem like that in years and then learning that three stereos and a couple of televisions had gone missing last week.

From there, I revealed several things she could do to create positive change in her circumstances. She embraced them entirely.

She entered the reading tearful and left laughing with hope in her eyes.

This occurred because I was not all wrapped up in being psychic and proving my abilities to the querent or even myself. I confessed my confusion and simply had a discussion. Armed with more accurate information the solutions being offered up through the cards were immediately forthcoming.

As a reader, my job is not to be a psychic but a communicator and healer.

No comments:

Post a Comment